Thursday, May 31, 2007

National Helmet day !

Come June 1st (technically 4.15 hrs from now), one can see a sea of helmets on the roads of Chennai and other cities in Tamil Nadu. Yeah, the much needed "Must wear helmet" for all the two-wheelers come into effect from Friday. I personally feel this is a welcome change in the ever chaotic traffic that is an omnipresent feature in India ! However, there are certain other things that need to be done in order to bring a semblance of order on road. First and foremost the driving pattern in ECR. I was shell shocked to see how the vehicles over take one another. When I mouthed my surprise, the answer I got was,"Thambi you are in India, not in theUS". Ofcourse I realize that, I was born and brought up here, I am used to the pandemonium that exists, but this was utterly ridiculous. I mean going to the right extreme of the road, just to overtake the vehicle in front of you, is totally absurd. Adding to my fury was the fact that police men lined the entire stretch of ECR, and they did not bother to pull over any of these wreckless drivers. I think stricts rules should be enforced to curb the unlawful practices. Probably slap a hefty fine like Rs 1000 or 2000, evereytime they do this !

The sad part is people do not realize that it is a serious offence. Just because everyone does it and that we have been doing it for a long time does not mean it is a right thing to do. We do need more organized traffic, until then the deluge of fly overs that are mushrooming all over the city will not help ease the flow of traffic. This subject was dealt with in Anniyan, but that is as far as it got. That is the problem with us. We applaud the movies which make us think, but forget it the moment we get back to the hectic chores of daily life. Now Sivaji, another Shankar's venture promises to offer something along similar lines. It looks to me like a promising movie, especially because 'Thalaivar' has nevere acted in a movie which talks about social reforms, even though there are lot of punch dialogues and 'karuthu' throughout the film. There is no doubt that it will be a blockbuster, but if we can put into practice things that we see in films, I think a change is possible. A transformed India is our dream, but a dormant one at that. If we can dream together and make it a reality, that should be the greatest thing to have happened in my life ! Until then let's celebrate June 1st as National Helmet Day !


2 comments:

Ranjith said...

Nice.....

Anonymous said...

Oi, achei teu blog pelo google tá bem interessante gostei desse post. Quando der dá uma passada pelo meu blog, é sobre camisetas personalizadas, mostra passo a passo como criar uma camiseta personalizada bem maneira. Até mais.