Thursday, May 31, 2007

Inspired by Five Point Someone!

On a second thought, I guess, I should also write about Chetan's debut novel. Even though I said it is a time pass read, it does make you question the education structure in our country. In many countries there is more flexibility in the subjects you study. For instance subjects like Economics is still not popular in India and I think an option to choose a completely unrelated allied subject should be made available, rather compulsory! Science group remains the most attractive option even to this day and Commerce field is seen as the last alternative who did not make it to Science group. Ofcourse there are few students who are really interested in Commerce, but barring these few students, much of the candidature comes from the bunch who could not make it to the Science field. Engineering and Medicine are the clear winners when it comes to "What do you want to become when you grow up" types of questions !

I really feeel I would have done better with an Economics option or even a course on Finance or Accounting, at least as an elective in my B.Tech course. If I was made to study Electronics or Electrical Engineering as compulsories in my Industrial Biotechnology major, there is no reason why Economics or Finance could be made available. My cousin studied Latin in her 12th standard (in the UK), and in fact her university required her to take a totally unrelated subject in school, as a general rule. I thought that was a very attractive rule. A word of thought on Engineering and Medicine in Tamil Nadu. The very procedure by which they select students who will become future engineers and doctors is highly flawed. For one thing, the entrance exam is not very competitive, at least the Mathematics portion is pretty tough. But the Biology portion is a cake walk, but that also is done with from this year. Now the future boils down to the high school marks and with no entrance exam, it only adds to the woes of the CBSE students. Whereas a practical mode of education should be inculcated even as early as school level, rules like these only confound the students who are already at crossroads in making a very important decision in their life.

Whereas CBSE is superior to the State Board, it still does not help the cause of the CBSE students. For one thing, the national level entrance exams are clearly competitive, negative marking included, not all students are guaranteed a seat in a college. On the other hand, Tamil Nadu government ensures that most of the students get admission, even though through an imperfect method. Clearly CBSE students cannot compete with State Board students for admissions, at least through the Single Window System, based on Annual Exam results alone. So what happens to the CBSE students? I do not have an answer. I guess I have digressed from the main topic, that is to establish an education system which is more practical, a bit, I thought a word about the plight of CBSE students is worth mentioning. It could be because I was a CBSE student myself.

No comments: