Monday, November 19, 2007

Metro Rail in Chennai: Will it be the million dollar solution to our traffic woes?

I was lying down on my bed thinking what to write next? I fought the temptation to write about cricket yet again. Then I remembered the news that I read few weeks ago, about the approval for Metro Rail project in Chennai. I had written about the sorry state of affairs on the roads in Chennai in my earlier blog entry, National Helmet Day. I was also thinking if anyone wrote about these things. I did find couple of nice blogs, Good, Bad & Ugly Chennai and Rising Sun . While the former (By Vinod), gives a broad view of happenings and 'mishappenings' in Chennai, the latter (By Uday) talks about issues concerning the traffic in particular, in Chennai. Both of them were good read. Good job guys.

Uday has painstakingly analysed lot of causes and has come up with lot of solutions to handle the traffic concerns. While some of them are feasible the others may be just good in theory. However, I thought I will mention few additional solutions. The approval for Metro project has certainly left me feeling elated. I vaguely remember that were talks going on for eons about a New Rail System for Chennai to ease the traffic congestion. They even had to shelve it because it was not feasible. I am not sure if it was Metro Rail project was Mono Rail Project. Anyway, I certainly believe this was long due. We do have excellent MRTS service, and with the new line between Beach and Velacherry opened this week (I guess it is today!). Yet, I believe the Metro Rail would definitely ease the suffocation on the over burdened roads.

In addition, I believe we should introduce a system of Congestion charges. The idea is to charge people who use important roads and areas during peak hours a fixed amount. I saw this when I visited London. The London streets are hectic to drive (it did remind me of the nightmares I had in New York) and they impose congestion charges. I must admit it is very effective. To avoid congestion charges we parked our car in a hotel parking area and the charge was only £18 per day. We can similarly impose charges for using roads like Mount Road, Guindy, Koyambedu and other arterial roads. The idea is to encourage pooling and also to use public transport. This also has the added advantage of attempting to conserve oil, what with the cost of a barrel of oil rising feverishly (it stands close to $100 a barrel now). However, we need a very efficient public transport system for this to be of any good.

The next thing that we can do is impose a hefty fine, like I said in my earlier blog entry. The payment should not be made immediately but can be made payable to the department concerned with traffic, separately at a later date. This will also give a chance for the people to contest their case in a court. Still, I think educating people on the basic laws is the primary thing to do. First of all, the Transport Corporation should take action against the wreckless MTC bus drivers. It is true that it is very difficult to maneuver a bus, but at the same time the way the MTC drivers go about their business leaves the people anguished. I still feel that a change is possible. If each of us give it a thought and try to make a change, 'Singara Chennai' can be a reality. Can we?




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nope you're not the only one to write about these things :P

Btw, the new rail system was the monorail, some sort of political prank pulld by JJ, thankg god thats all washed off now.

check out the chennai metro article on wikipedia which ive started
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chennai_Metro

Sanky said...

Hey,
Thanks for the link. Nice to see wiki entry on Chennai Metro. I don't see the reason, y the project was delayed, given the huge success in Delhi and Kolkatta. We can also introduce new trains, the ones they started in Mumbai are sexy.....Given the fact that the coaches are all made in our own Perambur....