Thursday, May 31, 2007

Indian Embassy in the US !

I think this is a proper outlet for all the anger that has been seething inside me for more than a year now ! However, this is not yet another grumbling of a soul which was hurt by the nonchalant behavior of the typical Indian Government. I just want people to know how Indians are treated by Indian Government officials, not in India (which, everyone is immune to.....), but in a foreign soil, about 10,000 miles from India. Everyone who has gone through the process of applying for a duplicate passport in the US will know the pang of grief that stabs the heart, leaving a permanent scar!

The story began when I lost my passport (no not in the bar !!!), and was left totally bewildered in a foreign country not knowing what to do! It was almost a month before I figured out what should be done and I filed an application for a duplicate passport on 18th September 2005. I later realized that the biggest mistake I did was to send the application by post. The website suggests that it will normally take them 3 months to issue the duplicate passport. When I called them in November they said I will have to wait for at least one more month. But in December I began to doubt that they even started processing my application. The only answer they gave me every time I managed to talk to them ( Yeah, you must consider yourself lucky if they even attend your call, for they are always 'busy' and you always end up reaching their voicemail), was that they are waiting for clearance from India. Now Panic sets in and I was left in dark. I could not get my Social Security number without my passport, among other things. I was officially non-existent those few months and there was no way I could prove that I was I, except for the copies of my old passport that I had made (for which I was applauded!!!!).

Anyway, so finally I decided to make the 'holy' trip to Washington D.C. and give them a surprise visit to find out what was happening to my application. 2536, Massachusetts Avenue, Washington D.C. welcomed me with closed doors. It was about 9.00 am I guess and the basement (which is where all the consular activities take place) was already buzzing with activity. I did not get much help there, so I went upstairs and the door is a heavily guarded one, which will be opened if the security guard happens to be in his seat. From what I observed, I doubt if the employees are provided with a card (similar to FAB card) to enter the building. Even they had to knock the door and I religiously opened the door for so many of them, that I could have made some money if I charged them few bucks for each hour, given the fact that the security was on AWOL for most part of the day! I wanted to be seen like a good guy, so that at least one pair of eyes might notice my service to the nation and reward me (of course by issuing my passport). When I went in they told me to go back home (Raleigh of course) and wait for few more months. When I explained them it has already been 4 months, they did not seem to be bothered. I insisted that I will meet some one in higher position and will not leave until then. I was given an 'appointment' for 2.30. It was already 12 pm by this time. So off I went to grab a bite and I remembered the Indian restaurant in Union Station.

I did take the appointment bit seriously for I thought of all the things I should say when I meet the 'Big Daddy' and tell him how awful it was to live like this. Only that I should have known better. This is a Govt organization and an appointment only means that they do not want to see you again. Anyway, so the 'Big Boss' is in some kind of meeting and he will not be available until 3.30 pm. I told them I do not mind waiting. So the time passes by and I meet lot of lovely people who will have similar things to share, for all of them met with the same fate of waiting game! Anyway by the time it was 5.00 pm I was almost in tears and kept nagging the people at the front desk. But for the old lady who kept talking I would have gone hysterical. However, there was one soul who took interest in me and all the other people waiting there. Her name if I remember correctly is Sheetal. She looked like a goddess to me and everyone praised her profusely. I talked to her and told her my predicament. I have no doubt that she was instrumental in getting things done there and we all told her that she will move up the rungs of the ladder very fast and will reach higher position soon !

Anyway to cut the long story short, I was finally called to the basement at 6 pm. I thought finally I get to meet the guy whom I was supposed to meet at 2.30 and I quickly recalled all the things I had to say. I was in for the biggest surprise when I went downstairs for they showed me the glistening black book with the three lions staring at me proudly and they told me,"This is your new passport". Emotions flooded through me and I felt truly grateful. But at the end of the day I was totally exhausted but it was the 36 page book, my newly acquired priceless possession that kept me going. The only complaint I have is, they could at the very least told me that they are getting my passport ready. I do not mind waiting and in fact I came prepared to wait for the entire day or however long it took me. But I could have at least sat there with peace instead of in a constant turmoil. It left me with lot of questions for which I still do not have the answers!

Why do we find it so difficult to be compassionate with others, especially for some one in a situation like me, where I would at least expect them to be kind, understanding and supportive. But I was treated with disdain. But for a change it was not just the Indians that they treated like this, even the American nationals were treated the same way. There was a businessman, who was leaving on Sunday and still did not have his passport stamped (I went on a Friday). Americans being very diplomatic when chiding someone, said that they found this place totally disorganized and the organization was very incompetent. I was tempted to tell him that, that is how Government organizations in India are run. Trust me I do not want to come across as a person who have numerous complaints against the Govt, for am exactly the opposite. I am on Govt's side in many of the issues (more on this in a future article). I just want people to be aware of this. I would be very happy if the Indian Embassy in the US (I am not sure about the Indian embassies elsewhere!) is run by better people with changed attitude. After all, it is our missionary abroad and much would be gleaned by the people in America, about India from the way the Embassy is run. I wonder if some people even have any work to do at all, for I remember seeing one man in full suit walking in and out for the entire day, doing nothing. I would be the first person to be overjoyed if we see a better Indian Embassy in the future !

No comments: